On February 1 ,Champions For Learning is honored community leaders. These individuals were honored for their impact on the lives of students through mentoring, leadership, collaboration and community involvement with educators or students. These honored Champions exemplify what it means to make a commitment to our students and their future.
“We are honored to be highlighting these community leaders who have immense dedication to impacting students and teachers,” says Susan McManus, President of Champions For Learning. ” The Night of Champions honorees truly embody what it is to be a Champion.”
Proceeds for this event helped support Champions For Learning student programs including College & Career Readiness programs and scholarships.
The 2019 Night of Champions honorees are:
- Ingrid & Fabrizio Aielli: Ingrid and Fabrizio are the owners of the Aielli Group, a company that operates the restaurants Sea Salt Naples, Sea Salt St. Pete, Barbatella, and Dorona.
- Stacy & Todd Bradley: Todd, of Cummings & Lockwood, serves on the Planned Giving Council. Stacy, a long-time educator, has volunteered on the Golden Apple Selection and Grants Committee.
- Corky & Chuck Carlsen: Corky and Chuck became involved with Champions For Learning by mentoring two students through the Take Stock in Children program. Corky and Chuck are the 2019 Mentors of the Year.
- Yolanda Flores: Yolanda is currently the Administrative Director for Postsecondary Adult and Community Education for Collier County Public Schools.
- Florida Prepaid College Foundation: Stanley G. Tate Florida Prepaid College Foundation has awarded over 44,705 scholarships and collaborated with 170 local community-based organizations.
- Mary Lynn Hill: Mary Lynn serves on the Champions Advisory Council and as a active Glass Slipper Alumni recipient, helps to raise scholarship money for female graduates.
- Sharon Hood: As founder and publisher of èBella magazine, Sharon enjoys telling her 22,000 readers about Champions For Learning and how they can get involved.
- Charles Kerwood III: Charlie, of Waller Financial, is involved through the Planned Giving Council and serves on a student selection committee for Champions For Learning.
- Mike Martin: As current President of Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU), Mike has brought his philosophy that to be a good citizen people need to participate in the community.
- Dawna E. Pipersburg: Dawna, of Rembrandt Accounting, is involved in the Take Stock in Children student selection committee. and serves on Champions For Learning’s Board of Directors.
- Steve Pontius: Steve is the Executive Vice President of Waterman Broadcasting Corporation and General Manager of our NBC2 media partner.
- Carol Windfeldt: Carol, a long-time volunteer, has helped facilitate the organization’s strategic planning process, most recently resulting in the new vision and refreshed mission statement.