GIFTS OF STOCK AND SECURITIES
1. Give your broker the following information to transfer a gift of stock to Champions For Learning:
- Champions For Learning is listed under our legal name: The Education Foundation of Collier County, Inc.
- Champions For Learning’s brokerage account is with Charles Schwab
- Champions For Learning’s account number is 61585255 and the DTC number is 0164.
2. Either you or your broker can email us at email@example.com or call us at 239-643-4755 with the name of the stock and the number of shares being transferred. This ensures the gift is properly credited and acknowledged.
Donating stock or securities offers a number of benefits:
- A federal income charitable contribution tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income) if the stock was owned for more than one year;
- Carryover of the deduction for up to five additional years if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income; and
- Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock.
Note: Stock owned for one year or less is considered a short-term asset and usually won’t produce attractive tax benefits.
Also, if stock has decreased in value, selling it and making a cash gift to Champions For Learning is probably more beneficial. You can take a capital loss on federal taxes and still enjoy a charitable deduction up to 50% of your adjusted gross income.
How to Donate Other Securities
To donate mutual fund shares or other securities, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 239-643-4755 for details.
Please inform us if your stock gift will be eligible for an employer matching gift contribution. Search here to see if your gift is eligible.
We recommend that you consult with your attorney or tax advisor for the various tax benefits and restrictions that may apply to your specific situation. We are available to you and your advisors to answer questions or help arrange a planned gift to Champions For Learning.