For rising seniors when it comes to preparing for college, timing is everything. This year there are some big changes to the process and the deadlines which are all this fall!
With the major changes to the high school senior’s timeline this year, seniors have to plan ahead to ensure they have achieved the scores necessary to meet the admissions requirements for the school to which they are applying.
Complete Late August through Early December (fall):
____ Think about college as an important part of your future
- Discuss your thoughts and ideas with family and school guidance counselor or teacher
- Start saving money for college if you have not already
- There are other expenses associated with college outside of attending a school
Complete March through Early June (spring):
____Become involved in community service
- Explore your career interests and gain real-world experience
- Begin community service hours for scholarships and leadership experience
Complete August through Early December (fall):
____Continue discussing your future goals with family and talk to your school guidance counselor to determine resources available to support your future plans
- Discuss admission testing required for your post-secondary plans
- Gather information on post-secondary schools and programs
- Begin planning for financial assistance
- Bright Futures and other scholarships, start saving up
Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a critical step for families to complete in order for their student to be considered for federal, state and institutional financial aid.
College Goal Sunday is a free session open to all Collier County families in which you can get assistance from trained volunteers and financial aid professionals and complete your FAFSA online.